No Knead Bread

Gloria J Martin <ggmartin2@juno.com>
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:48:59 -0600
v107.n008.6
For the life of me, I can't understand why people insist on messing
with the recipe.

3 cups of Bread Flour is 15 ounces. The 1/4 teaspoon of SAF yeast and
the salt (I have added 1/4 teaspoon) 1 1/2 teaspoons, stirred
together, then the 1 5/8 (or 13 ounces) of water stirred in works
perfectly. I let mine rise at least the 18 hours. I turn it out on a
sprayed Silpat (I can't get enough flour on a towel to keep it from
sticking). I sprinkle the dough with a very little flour and fold it
over on itself once or twice. No attempt is made to stiffen the
dough. I also spray my hands, and I use the Silpat, lifting it from
side to side to help fold the dough. I cover it with an sprayed
plastic wrap and let it rest the 15 minutes specified. Then I spray
my hands again, and using the Silpat, form a sort-of round shape--I
don't worry about it being an actual ball--it is too soft for that.
The reader who suggested using a colander to keep it from spreading
too far had a bright idea. Spray the top inside of the colander and
put it over the dough. Cover all with plastic wrap so it won't dry
out. Let it rise for the 2 hrs. specified. One half hour before the 2
hr. period is up, turn oven on to 450F and put in the item you are
going to bake the bread in. I have the best success using a crockery
baking container of 5 qts. The once from my Crock Pot is perfect. The
lid is glass and the knob is ceramic. I don't spray the container at
all. When the 2 hr. rising time is up, I pick up the Silpat and
literally "dump" the dough into the container. I shake the container
after the dough is in to settle it and even the top out a bit. I put
on the lid and bake it for 30 minutes, uncover it and continue baking
for 15-20 minutes. Then I remove the hot crock carefully and turn it
upside down and the dough falls out on a rack. I pick it up with hot
pads and turn it over to cool.

Yes, the dough is 'too wet' for normal doughs. The normal proportion
is 1/3 cup liquid to 1 cup of flour, but this is not 'normal bread'.
I think the 18 hour rise tastes better than a shorter one. I have not
used the corn meal or bran, but I could if I liked it on the outside
of the loaf. I normally do not eat bread unless I'm desperate. I
don't even eat sandwiches unless they are hot, like a hamburger or
grilled cheese, because I don't care for bread, but I think this is
wonderful. I like it toasted and buttered or as is and buttered. It's
wonderful with soups and stews.

My thanks to Jim Lahey for sharing this with us.