re: texture question

"Joyce Esfeld" <cesfeld@cox.net>
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:35:11 -0600
v107.n010.10
Lisa,
Can you give us more information regarding the type of flour you are
using and the technique?  You mentioned mixing by hand.
1)  Did you only "mix" the bread, or did you knead it as well?
2)  How long did you knead the dough?
3)  Did you use wheat flour only?
4)  What type of yeast did you use?  How/when did you add the yeast?
5)  How many times did you allow the bread to rise?
6)  Did the loaf double in size before baking?
7) Are you wanting to replicate loaves of bread such as Wonder bread,
American home style breads or artisan breads?

The crumbly texture you described can be from underdevelopment of
gluten. Batter breads are generally crumbly and do not have a
"store-bought" bread texture.  You described a lean dough with very
few ingredients. The protein (gluten) In wheat flour is the
ingredient that holds the loaf together when it is properly kneaded.

Please fill in the blanks and we will be happy to assist you achieve
a great loaf.  My first impression is that to achieve the texture
that you are wanting will require additional kneading.

Joyce
Serious Home Baker
American Style breads achieved
Artisan/European style breads desired