gluten free bread

"Bev Carney" <beverlyyvonne@gmail.com>
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 06:48:51 -0500
v107.n015.1
Here are a couple of recipes from the low-carb community over at
<http://www.about.com/> . You could easily substitute your choice of
sweetener. If you aren't familiar with flax seed, you can get it at
most groceries and it grinds up beautifully in a clean coffee mill.

Focaccia -Style Flax Bread
 From Laura Dolson,
Your Guide to Low Carb Diets.
Stay up to date!

I call this "focaccia" because it is baked in that style - flat on a
sheet pan, and then cut up into whatever sized pieces you want. It
works for toast, sandwiches, and other bready uses. It is "rough" in
texture like heavy whole grain breads. Since it isn't made with
wheat, it doesn't have the same kind of grain as wheat breads, but
the carb in flax is almost all fiber. Flax is very useful on a low
carb diet, as well as being amazingly good for you.

INGREDIENTS:
* 2 cups flax seed meal
* 1 Tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1-2 T sweetening power from artificial sweetener
* 5 beaten eggs
* 1/2 C water
* 1/3 C oil

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works
best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well - a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious
strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2-3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too
long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the
middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from
the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the
sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch
the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a
sharp knife - I usually just cut it with a spatula.

At 12 servings, each piece of bread has less than one gram of
carbohydrate - .8 to be exact - plus 5 grams of fiber.

Flax Meal Pizza Crust
 From Laura Dolson,
Your Guide to Low Carb Diets.
Stay up to date!

This is a variation of my flax meal focaccia bread, which is a dense
"food for you" type of bread. It makes a pizza that is about 12
inches in diameter, although you can spread it thinner and larger if you want.

INGREDIENTS:
* 1 and 1/2 C flax seed meal
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* Sweetener to equal about 1 Tablespoon of sugar
* 3 Tablespoons of oil
* 3 eggs
* 1/2 C water

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 425 F.
1. Mix dry ingredients together.
2. Add wet ingredients, and mix very well.
3. Let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken.
4. Spread on pan (I put it on a silicon mat or greased parchment paper).
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes until cooked through, then add toppings and
cook until they are done.

Nutritional Analysis: Whole crust has 7 grams of effective
carbohydrate, plus 52 grams fiber, 47 grams protein, and 130 grams fat.