Re: several topics in bread-bakers.v107.n017

"Mary Fisher" <mary.fisher@zetnet.co.uk>
Sun, 20 May 2007 09:44:35 +0100
v107.n018.11
Paul Johnson <paulzjoh@mtnhome.com> wrote:
>"Have anyone of you found a satisfactory source for an oven-proof 4
>or5 qt. pot (preferably oval) that can be used to bake "no knead" bread?"

Why do you want an oval pot?

Not criticising, just wondering :-)

"Keith Johnson" <kjphotog@gmail.com> wrote:
>For some reason, a local Pavilions market here in Los Angeles
>recently stopped carrying Bread Flour. But they do stock Kind Arthur
>white flour & continue to sell yeast. And readers are correct about
>purchasing yeast at Smart & Final, much better pricing + it's so
>convenient having a 1 pound package of it on hand. They even stock a
>couple of different brands. Does seem to last forever when stored in
>the 'fridge.

I used to use fresh yeast but found that unless it was covered with
cling film it went dry round the edges and wouldn't work. Cut into
individual portions and wrapped it keeps a very long time in a freezer.

"Bob & Nina Freeman" <bnfreeman@comcast.net> wrote:
>Twenty years ago I bought a special kind of whisk in Innsbruck,
>Austria. I was used mostly for proofing yeast in some water with sugar

You don't need to whisk yeast to get it to froth, it will do it by
itself, given time.

Mary