Re: Summerloaf

"Michael C. Zusman" <mczlaw@pacifier.com>
Tue, 29 May 2007 09:19:34 -0700
v107.n019.6
Here's the story from one person's perspective:

A year or so ago, a committee of the Guild and some others made a
decision to move Summer Loaf away from its longstanding home at the
Portland Farmers Market to another site.  The idea, as I understood
it, was to put on a smaller scale, "less commercial" event.

Those of us who had helped organize the festival in past years were
surprised and disappointed at the decision.  Still, it was
understandable to some extent:  the Guild felt it was not receiving
adequate support and others felt that Summer Loaf had become too big
and commercialized.

In any event, I am told last year's bread festival (it could not be
called "Summer Loaf" since that name is owned by Portland Farmers
Market) was indeed small and noncommercial--and not well publicized
or attended.

I have heard nothing locally about a reprise of last year's bread
festival.  Gina or someone at the Guild should be able to confirm or
provide contrary information.  I can say for certain that there will
be no Summer Loaf at the Portland Farmers Market.  Long and short
seems to be that the event has run its course.  Unfortunately.  It
was a great run while it lasted.

Very truly yours,

Michael C. Zusman
Evans & Zusman, P.C. Law Offices