Compensating for Humidity

Dan Haggarty <dan.haggarty@dunhaven.ca>
Mon, 05 Nov 2007 07:37:13 -0500
v107.n032.3
Cookbooks often caution about the need to adjust the amount of flour
in a bread recipe depending on the humidity.  A bit more flour is
needed when the humidity is high and a bit less is appropriate in the
winter when the humidity is low.  I've never seen, however, any hard
numbers quantifying the size of this adjustment.  I recently used my
bread recipe analysis spreadsheet to help answer this question.

According to the California Wheat Commission,
<http://www.californiawheat.org>, the moisture content of wheat flour
is usually within the range of 12-15%.  (For what it's worth, the
data in the USDA National Nutrient Database,
<http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search>, are within this range
for wheat flour but the water content of oat, rye and triticale
flours are closer to 10%.)

Using my spreadsheet, I calculated the true hydration of my standard
weekly bread recipe, using 1209g of 'average' flour with 13.5% water
and 87.5% dry solids, as about 90% (vs. a hydration of 65% using the
traditional formula).  I then created an equivalent recipe using
'wet' flour that had 15% water and 85% dry solids.  With the second
recipe, I needed to use a total of 1265g of 'wet' flour to get a
dough with the same true hydration of 90%.

In other words, my analysis said that, in theory, you need to add or
subtract up to 4.5% of the flour specified in a recipe to compensate
for the humidity.  (For a pound of flour, this corresponds to about
3/4 oz; for a cup of flour, it's about 2 teaspoons.)

Since it was a very humid day, I decided to test my analysis.  I made
a test batch of bread by simplistically weighing the flour, but using
3.5% more flour than specified in the recipe.  As hoped and expected,
I found that the resulting loaf was just like those I bake under more
normal conditions.

Dan