spent grains

"Kate Stavisky" <katestavisky@earthlink.net>
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:45:16 -0500
v108.n001.2
Hi there,

Long time lurker chiming in here, to ask if anyone's tried baking
bread with spent grains from beer brewing?  This concept fascinates
me as I am always looking for new and interesting breads, AND dh and
I brew at home . . . I got Peter Reinhart's new book for Christmas,
and there is a spent grains recipe in there . . .

But -- here's my question -- I have to say, the grains that we use to
brew are pretty coarse and loaded with hulls.  They TASTE fantastic,
but the hulls are hard to chew.  I don't really want to eat a
great-tasting bread where I am picking hulls out of each mouthful!

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Maybe we should brew with more
finely milled grains?  Or is there a way I can chop up the
already-spent grains (and hulls) so they're not as obtrusive?  Food
processor, or food mill?

Anyway, I am hoping that others have success stories and/or suggestions.

Thanks,
Kate Stavisky