Vital wheat gluten for Linda...

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Tarheel Boy)
Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:45:33 -0400
v108.n014.2
I keep vital wheat gluten on hand for my loaves that contain whole
wheat, rye and barley flour as these flours don't have as much gluten
protein as do all-purpose and bread flours.  As yeast creates carbon
dioxide gas within developing bread dough, it's the gluten in the
dough that traps the bubbles, giving your bread a lighter texture and
firm structure. If the grain (or flour) that you start out with
doesn't have sufficient quality or quantity of this gluten protein to
start with, you will get "brick bread" -- good for doorstops but not
for eating.  The amount I use is 1 tablespoon per cup of whole grain
flour. I keep it in my pantry in a "canning jar" that has a flip-top
lid and rubber seal.  It keeps for a long time.  Although I don't
keep mine that long, I am told it can keep for seven to ten years in
a well-sealed jar.

Good luck in your breadbaking.  You will find very helpful people
here so ask your questions.  We all did in the beginning. Write to me
personally, if you like.

Bob the Tarheel Baker