Re: keeping sourdough starter alive

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:06:00 -0500
v108.n016.2
>Due to a recent injury, I won't be doing any baking for a few
>months. Any suggestions on how to keep it alive with the least fuss
>till I'm back in the game?

Sure.  Feed your starter at about 65% hydration so it is good and
thick.  Over a period of  2 or 3 days feed 180 grams of starter with
180 grams of water and 300 grams of flour.  Repeat this twice a
day.  When the starter rises nicely between feedings, feed it one
more time, fill a mason jar 1/2 full, cover it and put it in the
fridge at once.

It will last a good long while without forming hooch or dying.  I've
kept starters like this far longer than I care to admit.  Thicker and
freshly fed starters last longer than thinner and more mature ones.

Mike
Mike Avery      mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker         http://www.sourdoughhome.com
networking guru         Skype mavery81230
wordsmith

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined.