Lard

"Diane Purkiss" <dianepurkiss@btinternet.com>
Mon, 5 May 2008 08:08:31 +0100
v108.n018.3
Lots of English variety breads are made with lard - the best example
I can think of is Kentish huffkins, which use lard to make an
enriched and milky dough not unlike brioche in texture, but tasting
very unlike brioche.  There is also Lardy Cake, which despite the
name is more like viennoiserie made with lard instead of butter -
extremely flaky and delicious.  I should think lard could be
substituted for butter in any recipe.

I'm keen to try some Trotter Gear in enriched bread, which is
rendered pig's feet fat after they've been baked in Madeira for 3 hours.