Subject: RE: internal temperature of bread

"Werner Gansz" <wwgansz@madriver.com>
Mon, 19 May 2008 11:41:17 -0400
v108.n020.2
Mike, the safe answer is 200 deg F for lean breads, 205 deg F for
breads with food in them like brioche, cheese, or potato breads.   At
some point it is a matter of personal preference as to the desired
texture of the crumb.  At 195 degF the crumb of a lean bread will be
fully baked but the crumb will have a moist texture.  Personally I
prefer baguettes at 195; once the baguettes are out of the oven the
thick crust that I get will gradually loose it crackle as it cools
and become pull-apart chewy as the moisture works its way back into
the crust.  However a moist crumb can be mistakenly interpreted to be
under-baked.  Baked to 200+ deg F a baguette will have a completely
dry crumb, which may be preferred by some.  Breads with food in them
will maintain a moist interior even above 200 Deg F.

Get a handheld digital thermometer that will hold its reading.  You
can insert it into the bread, keep your hands out of the oven for a
few seconds, and then push the hold button as you remove the
thermometer.  After a few bakes of breads of different sizes and
shapes you will learn to read the internal temperature by the color
of the crust.  But initially a thermometer is a big help in getting
the right balance between temperature and bake time for each type of loaf.

Werner