Re: Challah Temperature

RosesCakeBible@aol.com
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 09:01:18 EDT
v108.n022.2
Response to Maggie Glazer's post in bread-bakers.v108.n021:

I mostly agree with Maggie. I mainly give internal temperatures for
less experienced bakers--sort of like training wheels. The only time
I take the temperature is when I'm testing or developing a new recipe
and it's mainly to be able to share it with others who are less
confident of their ability to judge doneness.

It's true that when you bake often, in your own oven, you just 'know'
when the bread is done. I don't even check oven temperature anymore
becaues I know that, for example, my Wolf runs 25 degrees under and
my Sharp microwave convection when set on convection needs the same
temperature as a conventional oven up til 400 and past that needs 25
degrees lower.

Coincidentally, something Maggie once wrote that gave me a great deal
of confidence and reassurance when learning more about bread baking
was that it's harder to overbake than underbake. Since I don't like
very brown bordering on blackened crust which some bakers feel
develops more flavor to the crumb, I know that if I take it to the
deep golden brown stage the crumb will be perfect.

Warmly,
Rose