Re: bread on the barbeque

"Mary Fisher" <mary.fisher@zetnet.co.uk>
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:34:21 +0100
v108.n024.2
When we're camping under canvas I use a charcoal fire which only has
dampers to regulate the fierceness of the heat. I have a very heavy
iron skillet which I put over the coals - raised so that it's not
touching them. When it's good and hot I put on the dough and cover it
with a large metal basin. When I think it might be done I look at it,
if it needs more I put it back. Occasionally the bottom is a trifle
scorched but that's no bad thing.

When we're in our tiny, old and very basic caravan on our daughter's
farm I cook everything in the gas barbecue. There are no temperature
controls, just low, medium or high flames but there are two sources
of flame so one can be off while the other is on. For this I use tins
to put the dough in. I use one burner on high and put the tins on a
rack at the side away from the burner then close the lid. Leave it
for bout half an hour and test. Sometimes it needs a little more
baking (outside temperatures can vary a lot and wind affects it) but
it's never failed.

Mary