Cleaning baking stones

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Sat, 11 Oct 2008 05:39:17 -0800
v108.n038.4
I have one of the flat pottery stones (rectilinear shape) that spends
its time in the bottom rack.  It serves as the catch stone for all
drips and spills.  When the crud layer suggests the need, I run the
oven through self clean cycle and the accumulation becomes ash.  The
oven cleaning cycle does not remove stains, but a fast vacuum, after
cooling from the cleaning cycle, cleans the stone for many more baking cycles.

Since I had bariatric surgery and lost 1/2 of my body mass, I do not
bake much, but my wife does like the prebaked pizza crusts.  I use
parchment paper under each small pizza (I would call them rounds, but
that would be a fib - they are miss shaped blobs) with a high
hydration dough.  I cut the parchment paper with the pizzas and the
parchment paper catches the spilled sauce and cheese, etc.  Fewer
cleanings and easy disposal.  Pizza on parchment right on the stone
for 5 minute dinner when I am traveling.

Ken in Juneau