re: How do you make air bread??

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 01:05:57 -0700
v109.n003.5
I think I shared the following here a long time ago.  It's the
"airiest" bread recipe I have ... especially if you use only white flour.

To add flavor & nutrition you can add a cup or 2 of whole wheat
flour, or maybe wheat germ, oat bran, rye flakes, etc. without
affecting its quick rising ability. My sister and I always won the
purple ribbons in 4-H when we made this (back in the 60s in
Cottonwood County, Minnesota).

4-H CHAMPION BREAD - Lois B. Hansen
Makes 4 loaves

Mix together and let sit 5-10 minutes:
2 pkg yeast
1/2 cup warm water

When yeast has puffed, add:
4 cups warm water
4 1/2 T. melted shortening
3/4 cup dry milk (optional)
1/4 cup + 2 T. sugar
2 T. salt
5 cups flour

At this point, you may add oat bran, wheat germ, oat flour, whole
wheat flour, rice flour or any other desired ingredient. Measurement
isn't critical, although various flours and brans will change the
texture of the bread accordingly.

Allow to sit for 15 minutes.

Add flour to make soft, non-sticky, dough (sorry ... I don't measure,
just go by feel). Knead dough, adding enough flour so it's not
sticky. The more flour you knead in, the denser the bread will be.
Let dough rise until double in size. Punch down and turn onto board.
Divide into four parts. Shape into loaves and place in bread pans.
Let rise until double in size. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.