Cinnamon Roll Recipe

sueherm@pacbell.net
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 06:38:30 -0800 (PST)
v109.n005.3
This is for Gwen, who requested bakery style cinnamon rolls. How
ironic, I'm up early baking these cinnamon rolls for a church meeting today.

These are great, although surely very unhealthy...and worth it. They
don't have a thick frosting, if you want that you'll need a different
frosting recipe. Anyway,I rarely make them, but when I do my
timetable for a breakfast serving goes like this:

Afternoon before:
take cold ingredients from refrigerator to allow them to come to room
temperature

Night before:
early evening: make dough and refrigerate

Day of cinnamon roll breakfast:
2:30 to 3 AM Roll out dough and assemble rolls, cover with plastic
wrap, set in warm oven with the light on, go back to bed. (while
doing the rolling I turn the oven to its lowest setting for 5 min,
then turn it off
6 AM Remove the roll pans & preheat oven
6:30 to 7ish Bake the rolls
7:45 Glaze rolls

CINNAMON ROLLS

Recipe is adapted from a recipe in the now defunct L.A. Times
Magazine, which named a local bakery (the name of which I can't
remember) as the source. My notes are in brackets.

Ingredients:
Dough:
2 packages instant yeast (or 4 1/2 teaspoons)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 to 6 cups bread flour [or use AP flour with 2 tablespoons vital
wheat gluten added]
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup buttermilk
4 egg yolks
2 sticks very soft butter

Filling:
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Glaze:
2 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Make dough (use a heavy duty mixer):
Have all ingredients at room temperature. Mix 2 1/2 cups of flour,
yeast, sugar and salt. In separate small bowl lightly beat egg yolks,
water and buttermilk. Add egg/buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients.
Beat well for several minutes. Mix in butter then add remainder of
flour, kneading until very soft but not sticky dough is formed,
another 5-7 minutes or so.

Do either "A" or "B", following [B is always my preference]:

A Let dough rise, covered, at room temperature until doubled in bulk
(about 1 hour).
-OR-
B Put in a plastic bag, which will hold twice the volume of the dough
and refrigerate overnight.

Make filling and assemble:
Mix the cinnamon and sugar. Roll the dough into a large rectangle
about 15" by 10". Brush with the melted butter(save any unused)
Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Roll up from the long edge. Pinch the edge to seal. Using a sharp
knife or dental floss cut into 12 to 15 rounds. Place in a
well-greased pan. Brush with any unused melted butter. (Can be
refrigerated overnight at this point.)

Cover and let rise away from drafts until doubled in bulk. [This can
take from 1/2 hour to 3 hours if it was refrigerated.]

Bake at 375 F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool in pan.

Glaze:
Mix vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Add enough water to make a
glaze and drizzle over the rolls.

I very often make 1/2 of this recipe: it mixes easily in the food
processor and makes 6 to 8 cinnamon rolls. I do the first kneed about
1 minute and the next a bit over 2 minutes past the point when the
dough is the right consistency. When I make a full recipe I make 15 of them.

Namast
Sue