RE: old starter

"Mary Fisher" <mary.fisher@zetnet.co.uk>
Mon, 6 Apr 2009 12:02:18 +0100
v109.n014.2
>From: "Dave Jimenez" <dave.jimenez@freshstartbakeries.com>
>Subject: RE: old starter
>Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:45:49 -0700

>Just wanted to share that as a result of trying to be the best dad,
>husband, employee, and relative I let my sourdough sit in a sealed
>mason jar in the fridge through 3 homes for a total of almost 10
>years.  It never molded and I did manage to refresh it a few times
>the 1st two of those 10 years.  I may have refreshed it a couple of
>times the next year or so, but I am positive that I never touched it
>over the past 6 years other than to move it from one fridge to the next!

I'm glad I'm not the only negligent starter parent :-)

What grabbed me about this is that you say you keep your starter in a
sealed jar. I've seen so much conflicting advice about how to store
starters - and with sensible rationales for them - that I've tried
three - in a sealed jar, in a bowl covered with cling film and in a
bowl covered with a jug net - the kind with beads round the edge to
hold down the net).

The last is the best, I reckon. There's no danger of the jar bursting
and there's no danger of the clingfilm loosening its grip and being
disturbed. The flora in my fridge seem to be dealt with more than
adequately by my starter, which never smells of acetone or any other
unpleasantness. It always works and with a good flavour, what more
could I want?

Mary