Big Green Egg

Judith Mayberry <mayberry@san.rr.com>
Mon, 25 May 2009 11:01:04 -0700
v109.n021.2
I've used two Eggs for several years, the Small and the Large. They
are very expensive, just so you know. They are incredible for smoking
(lid down) or grilling (lid up) meats and vegetables, and many people
make appetizers, desserts, fruit, breads, etc. There is an online
discussion group where everyone asks questions and gets help from
more experienced Eggers, and recipes. I don't have any other grills
any more--gave away the gas grill and kettle. They require chunks of
charcoal, NOT briquettes. Walmart carries it.

The platesetter is a heavy ceramic round three-legged piece under the
grill grate for indirect cooking--to mediate the temperature. You can
also stand up three bricks and put a round pizza stone on top to do
the same thing.

The steps necessary to cook with it are effortless (I'm 75). I only
use the Large once in a great while now that the family has
scattered, like today when I had a family of five for dinner outside.
Grilled corn in the husks first in both Eggs, then turned up the heat
to 600 or 700F in the Large for ribeye steaks. At that point some of
the diehards would have lowered the temp and put a fruit cobbler in
to cook while eating dinner. I use the Small for myself, or for two
people. To turn it off you just close the air vent and put a ceramic
cap on the top hole. Nothing else to do, as it puts itself out and
conserves the hardwood charcoal that's left for next time.

If the place that sells them will give you a demo, PLEASE make the
trip. If nothing else, It will be a fun experience.

You probably have to register:
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php
http://www.eggheadforum.com/recipes/

(This guy is the resident genius)