Pizza Dough

JCK <Sausage@hotpop.com>
Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:02:39 -0400
v109.n022.4
Classic Neopolitan Pizza Dough DOC

Pamela Sheldon Johns, in her book "Pizza Napoletana!," presents the
official DOC (Denominazione di Origine Controllata) recipe for
Neapolitan pizza. Her dough is similar to the dough in Carol Field's
"The Italian Baker" in its use of pastry flour to get near the
Italian 00 flour.

1/2 cake compressed yeast
2 cups warm water
1 cup pastry flour
1 1/2 Tbsps sea salt (Note -- sea salt, being larger-grained than
table salt, will have less salt by weight per Tbsp than table salt.)
5 1/2 to 6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Thin Crust Dough (What I currently make)

1 envelope dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup lukewarm water (105 F)
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour*
3/4 cup cake flour
1 pinch sour salt
1/2 teaspoon salt

* I have experimented. Pizza crust was crisper using all-purpose
flour (using part cake flour makes the crust crispier yet) and
chewier using bread flour (due to higher gluten). Naturally, adding
gluten and allowing the pie to rise slightly before baking results in
a chewier and thicker crust. The above yields a crust I like.
Unfortunately I moved and now have an electric oven. I have been
getting brown cheese before I get brown crust. Spreading the edge of
the crust with olive oil before topping has helped.

1. In mixer bowl, stir yeast and sugar into water, let sit for 5-10
minutes or so. A light foam should have formed at this point, if not,
the yeast is not active. Discard.

2. If you have a "bread/pizza stone/tiles", place it in oven and
preheat the oven to 500F

3. Stir the flour into the yeast mixture. If using food
processor/mixer, continue running until ingredients are mixed. Allow
the dough to sit, 10 minutes. Knead dough for 2-3 minutes or so.

4. Knead by hand on flour dusted counter top. If dough is a little
sticky, dust your fingers and counter with flour, (but as little as
possible). Flatten dough and begin shaping into a pizza. Allow dough
to rest a few minutes. Continue to roll out by hand for a 12" pizza.

5. Place in lightly oiled pizza pan or on parchment paper or on peel,
using your fingertips to press up to the edge and forming a shallow
lip. Sauce, cheese, and top with desired ingredients.

6. Bake at 500F in pre-heated oven for 8-12 minutes (I use next to
last shelf to get both the crust and toppings done the way I like),
the edges will turn a nice golden brown when done. Dough will be firm
and crispy, not soggy and soft like many other doughs.

JK