rye bread "cheats" for Steve

Haack Carolyn <haacknjack@sbcglobal.net>
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 05:18:19 -0700 (PDT)
v109.n030.14
Steve, in all good humor -- you're curing your own meat and yet
decline to let a starter sit out overnight? Maybe we can make a deal! :)

Seriously, good rye takes either time or money. Here are two "cheats"
which will help you get a good-tasting rye in no time, for just a
little "dough." Both are from King Arthur for sure, though somebody
else may also offer them at retail.

(a) "first clear flour" -- this is a high-ash product, they tell me,
but it really does make a difference in the bread. Use it in lieu of
AP or bread flour, along with the rye flour needed in your recipe

(b) rye flavoring powders (they have several) which add the "sour" to
your loaf to make it tangy. These are POWERFUL -- be careful in
opening the little plastic tub, you don't want to get a snootful, believe me.