Drying your sourdough starter for later use

"Norbert or Jeanette Jacobs" <njretired@copper.net>
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:51:21 -0500
v109.n033.5
Came across this note on a Countryside Magazine webpage, written by a
lady named Margaret A. Wadika from Kentucky.  Haven't tried it yet,
but it seems easy enough to do.

To put your sourdough starter to bed, cover a cookie sheet with wax
paper, pour one cup starter onto the paper. Place in oven. Fold a
potholder or towel in the door so the light stays on. A 60 watt bulb
will keep the temperature at about 90F. When completely dry, the
starter will peel off the paper. Run through the blender to powder
and place in a small plastic bag and seal. It will keep at room temperature.

To start up again: Mix 1 cup warm water with 1 cup flour and add
starter powder. Let set for 48 hours. Feed again with 1 cup flour and
1 cup water. Let sit 6-8 hours and the starter is ready to
work.  Store at room temperature (I store mine on top of the
refrigerator), feeding once a week. After all, all those grandmothers
were not on the grid.

The method I use to bake in the bread machine:  Mix up the starter
(above), let set for 48 hours, feed again and let it proof at least
eight hours (or even the night before) before putting it to work .
Spray the bread pan; sourdough tends to stick to the sides of the pan
while rising.

Measure into the pan:

8 oz. proofed starter
5 oz. water (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
2 cups bread flour
Use "dough" setting. When done, turn machine off and let stand
overnight. In the morning add:

1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour (see variations)
1 teaspoon dry yeast
Repeat dough setting. When done, use "bake only" setting.

My note: mix starter on Monday at 3 p.m.; feed on Wednesday at 3
p.m.; that same evening at 9 or 10 p.m., prepare the first mixture in
the bread machine on dough cycle and let it stand overnight.  The
next day (Thursday) at about 9 a.m., add the rest of the ingred.,
repeat the dough cycle, then do bake only.  Loaf should have time to
cook then cool for lunch.

Jeanette in South Texas / 60+ days of over 100 degrees; no rain in
sight; it's terrible