Olive and Sun-Dried Tomato Fougasse

Kathleen <kmschuller@comcast.net>
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:14:24 -0400
v109.n038.9
To me, this is a most unusual bread. I've never paid attention to
fougasse until recently when I saw several different recipes,
including one on the King Arthur Flour blog.  The following recipe,
from the current Bon Appetit, called me.  The dough is very, very
loose and sticky. In the recipe it is called a sticky batter, and it
truly is that.  I put all the ingredients in the bread machine, set
is for dough, ran the cycle, and then put the dough in a greased bowl
and in the refrigerator overnight.  The directions are for mixing it
iin a heavy-duty mixer.

I took it too an event and it disappeared very fast.  I did put a tad
too much kosher salt on it.

Follow the internet link in the recipe for a photo.

kathleen

* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Olive and Sun-Dried Tomato Fougasse

Recipe By     :Dorie Greenspan
Categories    : Breads

    1 2/3           cups  water -- (105F to 115F) PLUS
    2          teaspoons  warm water -- divided
    1 3/4      teaspoons  active dry yeast
    1           teaspoon  sugar
    5 1/2    tablespoons  extra-virgin olive oil -- divided, plus
more for brushing
    4               cups  all purpose flour
    1 1/4      teaspoons  salt
       1/2           cup  oil-cured black olives -- pitted, quartered
       1/2           cup  drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes -- chopped
    1         tablespoon  minced fresh rosemary
    2          teaspoons  grated lemon peel
                          Coarse kosher salt

makes 2 breads/12 servings

Pour 2/3 cup warm water into 2-cup measuring cup. Sprinkle yeast,
then sugar over; stir to blend. Let stand until yeast dissolves and
mixture bubbles, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1 cup warm water and 4 1/2
tablespoons oil.

Mix flour and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt in bowl of heavy-duty mixer. Pour
in yeast mixture. Attach dough hook; beat at medium-low speed until
flour is moistened but looks shaggy, about 3 minutes. Increase speed
to medium; beat until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and climbs
hook, about 10 minutes (dough will be like sticky batter).

Mix olives, tomatoes, rosemary, and lemon peel in medium bowl. Add to
dough and beat 1 minute. Using sturdy spatula, stir dough by hand to blend.

Lightly oil large bowl. Scrape dough into bowl. Brush top of dough
with oil. Brush plastic wrap with oil; cover bowl, oiled side down.
Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled, 1 to 2 hours.

Gently turn dough several times with spatula to deflate. Re-cover
bowl with oiled plastic; chill overnight (dough will rise).

Sprinkle 2 large rimmed baking sheets with flour. Using spatula,
deflate dough by stirring or folding over several times. Divide dough
into 2 equal pieces. Place 1 piece on floured work surface; sprinkle
with flour. Roll out dough to 12x8- to 12x9-inch rectangle,
sprinkling with flour to keep from sticking. Transfer dough to sheet.

Using very sharp small knife, cut four 2-inch-long diagonal slashes
just to right of center of rectangle and 4 more just to left of
center to create pattern resembling leaf veins. Pull slashes apart
with fingertips to make 3/4- to 1-inch-wide openings.

Repeat with remaining dough. Cover dough with towel. Let rest 20
minutes. Beat 2 teaspoons water and 1 tablespoon oil in small bowl to
blend for glaze.

Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven;
preheat to 450F. Brush fougasses with glaze; sprinkle with coarse
salt and pierce all over with fork.

Bake fougasses 10 minutes. Reverse position of baking sheets and turn
around. Bake fougasses until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to
racks; cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Nutritional Information:

One serving contains the following: Calories (kcal) 198.7, %Calories
from Fat 31.0, Fat (g) 6.8, Saturated Fat (g) 1.0, Cholesterol (mg)
0, Carbohydrates (g) 30.3, Dietary Fiber (g) 1.2, Total Sugars (g)
2.5, Net Carbs (g) 29.1, Protein (g) 4.4

Source:
    "Bon Appetit Magazine, November 2009"
S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2009/11/olive_and_sun_dried_tomato_fougasse";