Flour Mills

JMille2788@aol.com
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:14:59 EDT
v109.n040.4
I have recently begun visiting flour mills as part of my quest to
immerse myself in baking, baking lore and wisdom.  A side benefit is
that flour is much less expensive (so far) when purchased at the mill
in 50 lb bags.

I found the Fairhaven Flour Mill in Bellingham, Washington.  They
aren't set up to sell to the public, but a phone call to the mill
will make it possible to make an appointment to buy a bag or
two.  They only offer whole grain, but the also have unbleached white
flour available for purchase. Entrance to the mill is in an alley in
Bellingham.  A little tricky to find, but a employee of the
restaurant next door was kind enough to lead me to the right place.

Fairhaven Flour Mill
1111 Railroad Ave
Bellingham WA 98225
360-734-9947
<fairhavenflour@q.com>

On my last vacation I stopped in Redding CA at the original Moore's
Flour Mill.  I think it was the original location of Bob's Red
Mill.  Bob retired, sold the mill in Redding, moved to Oregon and
opened another mill which generates the Bob's Red Mill flour I see in stores.

Moores Flour Mill
1605 Shasta St
Redding, CA 96001
(530) 241-9245

They are set up to sell to the public and have a wide variety of
products for sale.  Unfortunately they aren't open on  weekends.

I would like to put together a list of mills with contact
information, store hours etc.  If anyone knows of a source like this
I would be delighted if you could pass it along.  Or, if you know of
a mill in your area please pass along the information and I'll
compile a list for the group.

JD
Tumwater