Re: Crackers with/without yeast

Diane Brown <debunix@well.com>
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:25:50 -0800
v109.n044.1
>Four-Seed Snapper Crackers from Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads
>This recipe does not call for yeast.  What's the difference between
>crackers made with yeast and crackers made without?

To avoid jawbreaking toughness, crackers can be either leavened
(yeast or baking soda/powder), super thin, or tenderized with a lot of fat.

In the snapper crackers, the ground nuts and seeds enrich and
tenderize, and they're rolled very thin.

I have a recipe for a baking-powder leavened cracker here,
<http://www.well.com/user/debunix/recipes/CornyCrackers.html>, which
uses very little fat.  But they must be rolled very thin or they're too heavy.

Yeasted crackers are tricky because to effectively be leavened by
yeast, they need a certain amount of gluten development, but too much
gluten and a little too thick and they become tooth-breakingly
hard.  Most commercial yeast-leavened crackers incorporate abundant
fat as well.  But the saltine uses a different twist:  they're
laminated sheets with flour in between the sheets, giving some of the
flakiness and lightness of a puff pastry but with much less fat.

Hope that helps

--diane in los angeles

http://www.well.com/user/debunix/recipes/FoodPages.html