Honey-Oat Bread

Kathleen <kmschuller@comcast.net>
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:54:48 -0500
v110.n004.6
It is interesting how bread baking methods have changed in the 30
years plus since I started to bake bread. At that time, as a
part-time homemaker, I would occasionally bake a loaf using regular
dry yeast.  Then I gradually added sourdough to my repertoire. Then a
year ago I got a bread machine to save my aching back from kneading,
and now I usually mix some flour and water together with some yeast
and stick it back in the refrigerator, as in the Artisan Bread in
Five Minutes routine.  Even though I'm no longer working, I often
don't plan my baking far enough ahead to use my starter.

Nancy Baggett has gotten into the act with her bread book
(Kneadlessly Simple) where the first rise is on the counter and takes
8 to 12 hours and more hours for the second rise.  That takes too
much planning in advance for me.  Anyway, here is a sample of her
recipes, from an article in Vegetarian Times's magazine.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                               Honey-Oat Bread

Recipe By     :Nancy Baggett
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads

    1                cup  quick-cooking oats -- (not instant) divided
    3 1/2           cups  unbleached bread flour -- or all-purpose
flour, plus more as necessary, divided
    1 3/4      teaspoons  salt
    1           teaspoon  rapid-rising yeast -- or instant, or bread
machine yeast
    6        tablespoons  honey
       1/4           cup  vegetable oil -- plus more for brushing
dough and oiling pan

MAKES 1 LOAF (12 SLICES)

Fragrant, slightly dense, and pleasantly sweet, this loaf is great
for toast-and snacking.

1. Spread 3/4 cup oats on microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high
power 1 1/2 to 2 minutes (stop to stir every 30 seconds), or until
oats are fragrant and lightly toasted. Cool.

2. Mix 1 1/2 cups water with 1 cup ice cubes in bowl. Combine 3 1/4
cups flour, salt, yeast, and toasted oats in separate bowl. Measure 1
1/2 cups ice water, and combine with honey and oil in third bowl.
Vigorously stir honey mixture into flour mixture. (Dough should be
slightly stiff; stir in just enough additional flour to stiffen dough
slightly, if necessary.) Brush top of dough with oil. Cover bowl with
plastic wrap, and let rise at room temperature 8 to 12 hours (first rise).

3. Vigorously stir dough, scraping down bowl sides. Stir in remaining
1/4 cup flour. Stir in more flour if dough is at all soft, to have
stiff but still stirrable dough. Oil 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, transfer
dough to pan, and smooth surface with spatula or well-oiled
fingertips. Press remaining 1/4 cup oats on top of loaf. Cover with
plastic wrap oiled on side facing dough.

4. Let dough rise 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours at room temperature (second
rise). Second rise alternatives: let dough stand in turned-off
microwave with 1 cup boiling water 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours for
accelerated rise; for extended rise, refrigerate up to 48 hours, then
set out at room temperature.

5. Preheat oven to 375F. Remove plastic wrap, and bake loaf 30 to 35
minutes, or until top is well browned. Cover with foil, and bake 25
to 30 minutes more, or until skewer inserted in thickest part of loaf
comes out with just a few particles. Bake 5 minutes more to ensure
doneness. Cool on wire rack.

PER SLICE: 239 CAL; 6 G PROT; 6 G TOTAL FAT (<1 G SAT FAT); 39 G
CARB; 0 MG CHOL; 340 MG SOD; 2 G FIBER; 9 G SUGARS

Source:
    "Vegetarian Times Magazine, February 2010, page 46"
Copyright:
    "(c) 2010 Vegetarian Times (ISSN 0164-8497)"
Yield:
    "1 loaf"