Heavily Seeded Bread

Sue Prescott <mtncook825@yahoo.com>
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:02:36 -0800 (PST)
v110.n005.4
I'm working on this recipe; what I'm posting isn't quite there yet.

                          Hearty Multigrain Bread

Recipe By     : Sue Prescott
Serving Size  : 24   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads  Multigrain

    6      C             Whole Wheat Flour -- Divided
      1/2  C             Brown Sugar -- Packed
      1/4  C             Butter -- Softened
      1/4  C             Sunflower Seeds
      1/4  C             Quinoa
      1/4  C             Flaxseed
    2      Tbsp          Instant Yeast -- (may need 3 tbsp at lower altitudes)
    1      Tbsp          Vital Wheat Gluten
    2      Tsp           Salt
      3/4  C             Milk
    1 1/2  C             Water

Mix 5 cups flour,  brown sugar, butter, seeds, millet, flaxseed,
yeast and gluten in a large bowl.  Heat milk and water to 120F and
add to bowl.  Stir together, adding the remaining flour as
needed.  When the flour comes together, turn out on well floured
surface, cover with bowl and let stand 10 minutes.  (You can skip
this, but mom always did this with her bread dough, so I do, too.  I
really think it helps the moisture even out in the dough.)

Knead on floured surface for 10 minutes.  Add only enough additional
flour to prevent it from sticking.

Place in a greased bowl and turn to coat top.  Cover with plastic
wrap, place in a warm place (80F to 85F) and let rise until doubled.

Knead lightly, divide dough in halves and place on parchment-lined
baking sheet.  Let rise.  It won't double. Preheat oven to
400F.  When hot, place in oven and bake 45 to 50 minutes.  Remove to
rack to cool.

Makes 2 round loaves.

NOTES : I live at 9200 ft elevation and routinely reduce the yeast by
a third, so you may want to add 3 tbsp (it is a lot, but it
works).  Also, our air is really dry, so you may not need as much water.