Brown Bread

Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:15:56 -0700
v110.n011.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                                 Brown Bread

Recipe By     :Susan Westmoreland
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Breads
                  Grains

    2               cups  whole wheat flour
    2               cups  all-purpose flour
    1 1/2           cups  wheat bran
    1                cup  wheat germ
    1 1/2      teaspoons  baking soda
    1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
    1              stick  butter -- cut up
    2 1/2           cups  buttermilk

Heat a baking sheet in a 350F oven. In a large bowl, stir together 2
cups whole wheat flour, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups wheat
bran, 1 cup wheat germ, and 1 1/2 teaspoons each baking soda and
salt. Cut up half a stick of butter and rub it into the flour with
your fingers. Stir in 2 1/2 cups buttermilk. Knead 5 or 6 times and
shape into a ball; flatten to a 9" disk. Remove baking sheet from
oven and place loaf in center. Cut an about 1/2" deep across disk.
Bake 1 hour, rotating pan once halfway through baking. Transfer to
wire rack; cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let stand 1 hour before slicing.

Source:
    "Good Housekeeping Oct 2006"
                                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 141 Calories; 5g Fat (29.8%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
11mg Cholesterol; 279mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Serve plain or with butter or your favorite Irish cheese.

NOTES : I took my first trip to Ireland recently and fell in love
with brown bread. Its nutty flavor and chewy texture captivated me,
so once I came home, I tried to re-create the recipe. Happily,
Aisling O'Callaghan of the Longueville House inn in County Cork,
where I had my first bite, shared her technique. Irish "brown flour"
is coarser than ours, but after a few tests and the opinions of a few
Irish friends, I found a winning loaf. It's a cinch to put together
and full of whole grains.