Re: vinegar

Dave Glaze <daveglaze@shaw.ca>
Sun, 4 Apr 2010 15:00:40 -0700
v110.n012.2
This looks like the "no knead" breads that were the popular a while
ago.  It makes excellent bread.  Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois have
written a couple of books with "no knead" recipes in them.  Their
recipes use refrigeration of the dough up to 5 days as well as using
a Dutch Oven to bake in.  Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day
uses minimal kneading and 4 stretch and folds to strengthen the
gluten.  The dough sits overnight in the fridge for up to 4 days.  He
does not use the Dutch Oven, but there is no reason you
couldn't.  Peter's book includes a 100% whole wheat ciabatta that I
make frequently.

I think the use of vinegar is to imitate the flavour of sourdough bread.

I like sourdough bread but don't like the flavour of vinegar in bread.

Dave