* Exported from MasterCook *
Recipe By:The Culinary Institute of America, Relish Baking, "The
Wonder of Bread," October 2007
Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread-Bakers Mailing List Breads
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 3/4 cups room temperature water -- (68F to 76F)
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
4 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons salt
Cornmeal for dusting
1. Combine water and yeast in a bowl and stir until yeast is
completely dissolved. Add flour and salt and mix with a dough hook on
low speed to incorporate ingredients. Increase speed to medium and
knead until dough is smooth and elastic, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with
plastic wrap, and let rise until nearly doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
3. Scrape dough onto a wooden board. Fold over dough gently. Return
to bowl. Let rise 45 minutes.
4. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Fold dough over
again, pressing gently to release gas. Cut into 2 equal pieces.
5. Round each piece into a smooth ball, pinching seams together at
the bottom. Cover dough and let rest, seam side down, 30 minutes.
6. Sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal. To shape baguettes, press
each ball of dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured work
surface. Holding the short edges of the rectangle, lift and stretch
the dough until it is about 8 inches long. Fold one long edge of
dough toward the center, pressing seam with fingertips. Fold again,
in half lengthwise, using the heel of your hand to seal the edges.
Roll dough under your palms into a cylinder about 18 inches long.
Move your hands outward from the center of the cylinder and slightly
increase the pressure as you move outward, until both ends have an
even gentle taper.
7. Transfer dough, seam side down to the baking sheet. Cover loaves
and let rise until increased in volume by three-quarters, about 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 425F. Score each loaf 5 to 7 times by making
diagonal slashes through the outer layer of dough with a thin blade.
Just before baking, brush or mist each baguette lightly with water.
9. Bake about 30 minutes. During the first 5 minutes of baking, brush
or mist bread 1 or 2 more times with water. Loaves are done when
golden and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Remove loaves from
oven and let cool on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves.
Per serving: 130 calories, 0.5g fat, 5g prot., 28g carbs., 1g fiber,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 66 Calories; trace Fat (4.3%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 143mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat.