RE: Pizza on the grill

Lois Omdahl <lomdahl@live.com>
Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:55:58 -0700
v110.n022.1
Hi, I've been making my own pizza since the early 60's when my 3 boys
were very young.  I grew up in Chicago in the days when 'thin' pizza
was more popular than 'thick' pizza, at least on the north west side
of Chicago (the late 1940's).

I was very interested in trying to make pizza using a grill, but I
don't have an outdoor grill anymore and only cook for myself.  I got
out my 12" cast iron skillet, made the Bobby Flay dough recipe (which
is very similar to what I've always made), divided the dough into
three parts and made 2pizza crusts on top of the stove in the dry
skillet.  It raised a little and got brown and was very good, except
it was a little too thick for my taste.  I froze the leftover dough
and had one pizza for lunch the next day.I will continue to use this
method - it's much faster than baking pizza in the oven and probably
uses less gas to cook.  I topped my pizza with tomato sauce with a
little frozen pesto melted into it, sweet red pepper, onion and
grated mozzarella.  I did discover that the broiler on 'high' is a
little too hot for the cheese, but it was still very good.

By the way, the best way I've found to reheat left over pizza is in a dry
skillet with a lid.  The bottom crust crisps up and the stuff on top
gets nice and hot without drying out.

I will make 4 pizzas from the Flay recipe in the future.

Thanks for all the good ideas and information.

Lois Omdahl
Shelton, WA