Sunshine Zucchini Bread (Summer Version)

Kathleen <kmschuller@comcast.net>
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 06:37:18 -0400
v110.n024.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

                   Sunshine Zucchini Bread (Summer Version)

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Company
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads                          Vegetables

    1                cup  zucchini purée* -- (8 ounces)
    6        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- (3/4 stick, 3 ounces)
    2              large  eggs
       1/4           cup  sugar -- (1 3/4 ounces)
    1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
    6        tablespoons  raw wheat germ -- (1 1/8 ounces)
       1/2           cup  whole-wheat flour -- (2 1/2 ounces)
    3 1/2           cups  unbleached bread flour -- **
    2 1/4      teaspoons  instant yeast

* Made from 1 cup peeled, seeded zucchini chunks or two small tender
zucchini, puréed with 1/4 cup water.
** 3 1/2 to 4 cups = 14 7/8 to 17 ounces

Does your family hate zucchini and avoid it at all costs, yet you
want them to eat it? Do you have zucchini in your garden that have
turned into baseball bat/club-sized monsters? This is the recipe for
you: it's a lovely, golden-colored yeast bread that slices well for
sandwiches. It's not at all like the dark, spicy, sweet quick bread
that we're all familiar with. Because you peel and seed the zucchini,
then purée it, it's undetectable even to the pickiest zucchini hater.

When my zucchini get too big, I make a purée using my blender, adding
the water first and then the peeled, seeded zucchini, blending until
smooth. If you want to keep the squash a secret ingredient, peel off
all the green. If the zucchinis are left unpeeled, you get a light
green bread. I freeze the purée in 1-cup portions, so that we can
have this bread all year 'round. It's too good to limit it to just the summer.

In the summer, I usually make one loaf at a time in my bread machine
because the house stays cooler that way, but in the winter I like to
make a larger (three-loaf) batch by hand; it freezes well. I've
listed both versions (see Snowflake Zucchini Bread (Winter Version).
- Mary Tinkham

Put all the ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the
order the manufacturer recommends. Start with the smaller amount of
flour. Program the machine for basic or white bread, and press start.
Check the dough after about 10 minutes of kneading, adding more flour
or water as needed to make a smooth ball of dough. Continue the
cycle, removing the bread when it's done and turning it out onto a
rack to cool.

Yield: 1 large loaf, 16 slices.

Nutrition information per serving (1 large slice, 50g): 123 cal, 1g
fat, 5g protein, 23g complex carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 27mg
cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 116mg potassium, 15RE vitamin A, 1mg
vitamin C, 2mg iron, 7mg calcium, 80mg phosphorus.

Source:
    "The Baking Sheet, 2004 Summer (Vol. XV, No. 5), page 13"
Copyright:
    "(c) 2004 King Arthur Flour, Inc. ISSN 1087-3600"
Yield:
    "1 loaf"