RE: gluten

Dave Jimenez <dave.jimenez@freshstartbakeries.com>
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:10:25 -0400
v110.n031.11
>From: Cindy Smith <cms@dragon.com>
>Subject: Re:  Gluten
>Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:49:11 -0400
>
>I went to three grocery stores looking for gluten, and finally, at
>Whole Foods, some guy directed to to gluten flour, which he claimed
>is what I was looking for.  Is that what I need?

Sounds like the stuff at Whole Foods is "High Gluten flour".  Whereas
your recipe appears to call for pure gluten (which has been washed
out of flour for commercial baker usage mostly).  Also known as Vital
Wheat Gluten.  It is the pure protein (glutenin / gliadin forming) of
wheat flour without the bran (skin) & endosperm (starchy white) of
the kernel.  I buy it by 45,000 lbs truckloads but haven't really
seen it at the grocery store!  I know it can be pricey for home usage
at over $10 for just 2-4 lbs.  Good luck finding it.  :)

Dave