More on bagels

jweissmn@his.com
Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:09:25 -0500
v110.n042.2
I've been experimenting with bagels lately, and the absolute best new
trick I found is to plunge them into a bowl of ice water for a couple
of minutes after they boil.

Thanks to Jeffrey Hamelman and his marvelous book "Bread" for this
idea.  I don't use his dough formula since I prefer a different one,
but I've never seen another recipe that suggests the ice water step.

With a low-yeast formula, overnight retarding in the refrigerator,
high protein flour, boiling, and the ice water plunge you can get
some fine bagels.

And I think I'll try the anise rolls for our next dinner party.

- Jessica