No Knead 'Country' Bread

Frank Metzger <fmtz@aol.com>
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:51:20 -0500
v111.n003.2
Hi Everyone,

Two comments on this subject:

1. In the  January 2011 issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine is a
story and associated recipe for something called Tartine Bread - made
solely without baker's yeast and through a long and somewhat time
consuming process.

I made the bread! It is fantastic - probably the best Country Bread I
have ever eaten anywhere. The recipe and process is too long for me
to reproduce here but, believe me, in terms of the crust, the crumb
and the sheer fantastic flavor, it is more than worth the 'journey'.

2. The actual baking part of the process is a take-off on the No
Knead principle. Has anyone found any receptacles for doing this in
different sizes and shapes that are not made of glass or pottery?

In one of the latest issues of Consumer Reports there is a 'horror'
story about what can happen with modern glass receptacles for oven
use. Basically, it warns of possible severe injuries that can happen
if these items are not handled really carefully. I have been doing
'No Knead" bread in a lovely oval Glass Baking Dish but probably
won't use it again!

Happy Baking

Frank
fmtz@aol.com