Re: sourdough conversion technique

"Joan" <butterflydog@verizon.net>
Sun, 06 Feb 2011 06:22:51 -0500
v111.n007.1
Hi,
I am a long time subscriber, mostly lurker, but consider myself a
sourdough "maven". This information comes from my website I once had
on the Net for a myriad of culinary topics; one being a sourdough
primer. I am sure there are other conversion techniques but I have
had success with the following. Many of my former subscribers told me
how great the following information was.

Remember, for success one must have a viable and reliable sourdough
starter. I have used a variety of cultures ( starters ) and
often  have used this one below, free from this site:

http://carlsfriends.net/

The site is  worth reading for the history as well as chock full of
sourdough information, photos and recipes! I thought you may enjoy it!

Joan

p.s  I am off on vacation shortly and will be unable to respond to any emails

A TECHNIQUE TO CONVERT YOUR OWN BREAD RECIPE INTO SOURDOUGH BREAD :

This basic method ( with some of my changes ) comes from Sourdough
Jack's Cookery ( 1959 ) and is a reliable technique that will turn
your favorite bread recipe ( buns, breads etc. ) into a very good
sourdough one. You must have a good reliable starter. Try your
favorite one loaf non-sourdough yeast recipe such as white, anadama,
oatmeal or any yeast white flour bread recipe ( even buns and rolls )
to convert to a 100% sourdough loaf. All such converted recipes come
out very well!

1. Place one cup of your favorite active sourdough starter in a large
bowl with about 2/3 of the total flour called for in your recipe. Add
all the milk or water to make a stirable thick batter. You don't want
a dough but a batter.

2. Cover the bowl and set aside the mixture in a warm place for 14 to
16 hours. Ex: in the winter I place the bowl on top of my radiator
cover. The longer it stands, the more sour it gets. This sponge
mixture will get bubbly and light.

3. Now add all the additional ingredients ( such as salt, sugar, oil,
eggs etc. ) called for in your recipe except the remaining flour. "Do
not include any yeast or baking soda- omit them!"  Please trust your
starter. If the starter is bubbly and active, the recipe will turn out okay.

4. Add the remaining flour, mix and knead well by hand, adding
additional flour only if needed to make a soft pliable non-sticky
dough. Dough will smooth and elastic but just a bit softer than your
typical yeast dough recipes.

5. Let the dough rest 10 minutes, covered.

6. Form your dough into a loaf ( or loaves ) and place dough in the
pan(s) or how your recipe instructs.

7. Let the dough rise, to the tops of the pan(s) or until light and
puffy in a warm place. Patience- this takes so much longer than
standard yeast dough recipes - often many hours !.! ( again in the
winter I place the pan on top of my radiator )

8. Bake and cool as your recipe instructs. Your bread should have a
nice soft interior, a good chewy crust and that special sourdough tang.