RE: Homemade bagel questions

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 01:03:30 -0800
v111.n011.3
Peter Reinhart's "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" has great technique described.

FYI,

* what's "overly" chewy? Real bagels are darn chewy.
* bagels are typically made out of very high protein flour--14% or
so. At the very least use bread flour, not AP (as the referenced recipe does)
* for the great taste, bagels are typically rested after forming (but
before poaching) overnight in fridge
* the dough is usually very dry (50-55% hydration)
* the poaching liquid is usually made alkaline by adding baking soda
or baked baking soda--this gives the correct exterior
* Barley malt is often added to the poaching water--also helps with
exterior of bagel
* they only need to be poached 30-60 seconds per side
* I bake at 450F, not 375 as in referenced recipe

Allen