Cuisinart Stand Mixer

Gary Eisenhammer <pending@xplornet.com>
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:44:02 -0400
v111.n037.4
I realize there was extensive discussion in 2008 and more recently
this past spring on stand mixers but I'm gonna raise the issue
again.  I make 1-2 batches of bread/week and Montreal style bagels
every 2-3 weeks.  I used a refurbished Kitchen-Aid Classic mixer for
almost 15 years but it died in 2008.

Based on Cooks Illustrated reviews I bought a Kitchen-Aid Pro 600
mixer in Sept. 2008.  About a year later (just after the warranty
expired) it started dropping metal filings and oil into my dough.  I
did some research and found this was not an uncommon problem but when
I contacted KA their response was it was out of warranty.  So I got
it fixed - cost me almost as much as a new one!  It has run fine for
2 years but recently my wife was making some icing and noticed black
blobs in the icing.  When I checked, it is leaking oil again.  That
is enough to put me off buying another KA.  Unfortunately I can't
afford the Bosch and other high end models that have been recommended.

Cooks Illustrated currently rates the 5.5 quart Cuisinart stand mixer
as 'highly recommended'.  I notice it has a 5 year warranty on the
motor (as opposed to the 1 year on a KA) and I can get it free with
Air Miles.  If anyone has any experience with this mixer, I'd
appreciate some feedback before I make a commitment, although I'm not
sure that I have any options available, other than sticking with a Kitchen-Aid.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Eisenhammer