Kitchenaid Mixers

Mary Stackhouse <marystackhouse@shimgumdo.org>
Tue, 4 Oct 2011 14:06:44 -0400
v111.n039.6
I have one of the older Kitchenaid 5 quart 350 watt commercial models
- KSMC50S.  I got this mixer in the later 1980's and have been using
it ever since.  I don't know if you can still get this specific model
or not.  It has never leaked oil or required any kind of service at
all.  I have even done 4 batches of brioche dough in a row.  (I
assume that some of you have made brioche dough which takes about 25 minutes.)

At one point, wanting a larger machine, I bought a Kitchenaid 6 quart
mixer when they first came out.  I succeeded in burning out the motor
twice, it was replaced under warrantee.  I wasn't abusing it, I was
just doing larger batches of the recipes I had used with the 5
quart.  The person who repaired the mixer told me that though the 6
quart had a much higher wattage, the motor itself was smaller.  The
Kitchenaid mixer looks the way it does because the motor used to fill
the top of it.  The new motor was smaller so it would get too hot
quickly and burn out.  I had kept my older mixer, thankfully.  I
donated the 6 qt mixer to a small private high school that some
friends of mine had started where diet and nutrition education is
part of their curriculum.  It has a very happy life there making
cakes and such, it is not being used for bread.

A few years ago I was considering the Cuisinart 7 quart to get
something larger, but came across some not good reviews.  I am happy
to hear that so many of you all are happy with your cuisinarts.  I
guess for now I am going to stay with my old Kitchenaid.  Just a
final note, for some reason or other you can't use attachments on the
Kitchenaid model that I have.  That is OK with me I primarily make
bread.  The mixer works well for cakes too.

Mary
Boston, Massachusetts