Home Ground Flour

Andrea Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:04:20 -0800
v112.n003.6
Note that the white "soft" wheat has much less gluten and while you
have added the VWG, you also need to allow extra time for hydration.
Milling flours, of whatever source, at home means that your flour has
not been subjected to the various processes of commercial flours that
allow them to take up liquids more rapidly.

I would suggest that after milling your flour, you put it in a baking
pan or dish in the oven at 275 F. for up to an hour, cool it
completely and then add the other dry ingredients - I usually add
milk powder as well as the VWG and about a tablespoon of powdered
lecithin to extend shelf life.  I don't use the commercial enhancers.
And as I use the SAF "instant" yeast, it goes in with the flour.

I measure the liquids and make sure they are the ideal temp (water
and oil) add the dry ingredients and mix for only about 4-5 minutes
until it is loosely combined.

I cover the  bowl with plastic wrap (or a silicone "tight" lid) and
set it aside to hydrate for 30 to 60 minutes - if you are in a dry
climate (I live in the desert) it will take longer, less time where
it is humid.

It should come together more rapidly now but may need a bit more
water, add only a scant tablespoon at a time and let the mixer knead
it well before adding more. If kneading by hand you will be able to feel it.

I hope this helps.

Andie Paysinger
Visit my blog:
http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/