RE: Baking bread in a Romertopf

"Don Bischoff" <taktez@charter.net>
Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:52:42 -0600
v112.n004.13
Hi Diane,

Congratulations on your inheritance of a Romertopf clay baker.  I
hope you inherited the lid as well because that's a vital part of the process.

I have long been a big fan of clay pot baking and have a whole
assortment of clay bakers in different sizes and shapes including two
Romertopf clay loaf pans.  Since I have two Romertopfs I also have
two instruction booklets which are, in fact, no more than a large
sheet of printed instructions for care, usage and some recipes.  I
don't really need two sets, so I'd be more than happy to let you have one.

As to your sticking problem, that's easily remedied.  You need to
generously grease the pot before placing the loaf into it.  I use
Crisco.  It's also a good idea to grease the lid just in case the
bread gets too much oven spring and touches it.  The bread will stick
to the lid.  I found out the hard way.

Below is the bread recipe provided by Romertopf.  I've simplified the
instructions from their overly verbose version but the ingredient
list remains the same.  I think you'll be able to figure it out ok,
but if not, feel free to ask questions.  I also have the recipe
doubled for two loaves with the ingredient list in metric form in
case you're into weighing rather than rather than volumetric
measurements.  If you're interested in that recipe, let me know and
I'll email you a copy.  Also, let me know if you're interested in the
instruction sheet.

Happy Clay Baking

Brett Baker

* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Romertopf Bread - 1 loaf

Recipe By     :Romertopf
Serving Size  : 2     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads: Yeast

   1                cup  warm water -- 110 degrees F
   2 1/4      teaspoons  yeast (1 package)
   1           teaspoon  sugar
   1           teaspoon  salt
   1         tablespoon  veg oil
   3               cups  all-purpose flour

Soak top and bottom of clay baker about 15 minutes.  I do at least an hour.
Mix and knead dough.
Put in bowl, cover with saran and ferment until double.
Punch down and form into loaf.
Put in generously greased clay baker bottom.
Allow to rise until the dough is about an inch or so above the rim of the pot.
Slash top of loaf, put top on clay baker and place in a cold oven.
Turn on oven and set to 475 F.
Allow to bake with top on for 35 minutes.
Remove cover and continue baking with top off until loaf is properly browned.
Remove from baker and cool on wire rack.

Note: To crisp up frozen loaf, remove loaf from freezer and
defrost.  Preheat oven to 400 F.  Place loaf directly on the middle
oven rack and turn off the heat.  Allow to remain in oven for 10
minutes then remove and slice.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 704 Calories; 2g Fat (2.7%
calories from fat); 21g Protein; 147g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 1075mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 9 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.