Re: Home milling of flour - costs

"Ilene Rachford" <irach@woh.rr.com>
Sat, 18 Feb 2012 06:23:35 -0500
v112.n008.3
Yes, I know what you mean....there doesn't seem to be any
significient savings in grinding your own flour.

For me, though, I still prefer to do it. I prefer to buy organic
flours, and a 5 lb. bag of organic whole wheat KA flour is about $6
at the mainstream grocery store....WHEN they have it with a
reasonable use-by date.

I also like to use other whole grains, like rye, barley, oat, millet
and quinoa flours. Grinding my own gives me the small amounts I need
now while the remainder stays fresher longer. The whole grains keep
better over time than a bag of flour.

I have found a health food store that sells whole grains in bulk. I
can buy 1 pound of organic WW berries for $1.49, less a 10% senior
discount. I can sometimes find a coupon for $5 off a $25 purchase, so
I buy lots of bags, put them in glass containers and store in the fridge.

I'd be interested in hearing other comments on this.

Ilene