Sourdough starter

mdr-vdmschool@comcast.net
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 04:44:11 +0000 (UTC)
v112.n009.9
I have a question about sourdough starter. I've noticed in books
(andin photos) that active starter should have a layer of foam on
top. After I feed my starter, I notice that it never gets this layer
of foam. However, the starter itself becomes almost sponge-like it
its consistency, which indicates that some activity must be taking
place. I've used the starter to make bread, and I do get a good rise
from it. Could someone please tell me what's happening to my starter
(if anything) that isinhibiting this foam development? Should I care
there's no foam? I keep the starter in the refrigerator and feed it
about once every twoweeks with equal parts (by weight) of starter,
water, and flour.

Thanks much!
Mark