RE: Gluten won't form

Dave Jimenez <dave.jimenez@freshstartbakeries.com>
Mon, 6 Aug 2012 15:36:48 -0400
v112.n029.4
 >From: Robert Grossman/Tari Cody
 >Subject: Gluten won't form - bringing starter on vacation

>...snipped text
>
>When I arrived (we traveled from sea level to about 7500 feet) I
>took it out (it was leaking out of the container), added salt, let
>it sit a couple hours or so and then put it in the refrigerator.
>Then took it out next day to knead and shape. It is shaggy and no
>gluten. I tried kneading a few times, resting a while between
>kneads, adding flour to make it less sticky but couldn't get it to
>form a nice smooth skin. It has craters on the surface, although it
>does seem rise.
>
>Is it the altitude or allowing it to sit too long? I was hoping to
>make bread at altitude, but so far no luck. Any advice is appreciated...

Just wanted to know if the salt addition is a normal practice you've
done in the past for your starter?  If so, did you use the same ratio
of salt to starter, and did you have good results then?

I only ask because I had not heard of adding salt to any levain,
biga, polish, sponge, mother, or starter ever.  Salt in my experience
has always gone in the "final dough".  As a matter of fact, many
delay the salt addition until the final 3-4 minutes of mix.

Anyway, from what you have explained, it appears that your starter
became very active, peaked, and broke down (gluten obliterated).  To
"add salt to the wound" (pun intended), the salt directly added to
whatever little wild yeast cells were still alive not only slowed
them, but killed them.  Upon killing the yeast cells, their little
insides usually spill out and leak an enzyme called
glutathione.  This enzyme is a known mix reducer and "dough
weakener".  Sounds like some of your yeast was still alive, based on
the little rise you still had.

If you are still getting a rise, just keep repeating feedings and you
should eventually build it back up in no time.  In the future, if you
wish to "control" your starter, cold temperature will "put it to
sleep", or when feeding use colder water (experiment)   ^_^

Dave J...in  the Motherlode...