Re: flatbreads, also bread bowls and no-knead rye

Margaret Cope <mgcope@charter.net>
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 07:28:39 -0500
v113.n004.1
"Google" and you will find some options.  I would love to know which
one is best.  Also the "bread bowls" from Panera.

I did the latter a couple of weeks ago but added some sour dough
starter and let the formed balls sit over night in the refrigerator.

Here is my recipe:

3 C flour (KA of course)
1 C semolina
1/2 C whole wheat (KA)
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1 C sour dough
1 C water

Mix and let rise overnight in refrigerator.
Next day form balls...and let rise again in the refrigerator.
Remove from refrigerator and let warm up covered with plastic
wrap.  Remove wrap and let "dry" for an hour.
Bake at 425 for 25 minutes.  Spray with water when you put them in the oven.

Cool on rack.  Cut off top of ball and scoop out insides.  Grapefruit
knife and spoon work well.  I would love to know what others are
using.  Served a choice of chili or broccoli cheese (ala Panera) and
our luncheon guests loved it.

Also I made a rye adaptation of NO KNEAD which is good!

1-2 tbs of caraway seed
12 oz of bread flour
2 oz of rye flour
1 oz of toasted rye flakes
3/8 tsp of yeast (I use the SAF instant)
1 3/4 C water

Mix and let rise for 18 hours.  Dump onto silicone pad.  Give it a
couple of turns.  Cover with bowl and let sit for 2 hours.

Bake as NO_Knead only I used 450 F covered for 30 minutes and then
uncovered for 25 minutes.  You can adjust.  Result
a crusty caraway rye...