Pretzel Bread

Mel <mellian@cfl.rr.com>
Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:17:27 -0400
v113.n024.4
I posted this Pretzel bread for a challenge recipe on my ABM bread list.
I haven't tried it yet though.

Mel

   Pretzel Bread

Prep Time:20 Minutes
Cook Time:27 Minutes

Ready In:1 Hour 49 Minutes
Servings:12

"Like a pretzel, this bread has a salty brown crust and a tender
texture--perfect for sandwiches."

INGREDIENTS:
Dough:
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 envelope rapid rise Yeast
2 teaspoons salt
3 cups all-purpose flour, or more as needed

Boiling Solution:
3 quarts water
3/4 cup baking soda

Egg Wash:
1 egg
1 teaspoon water

DIRECTIONS:
1. 	Heat milk and butter until warm (100 degrees to 110 degrees F);
the butter will not completely melt. Combine with undissolved yeast
and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl. Stir in salt and 2 cups flour,
beat for 3 minutes. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a
soft dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic,
about 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise
for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.

2. 	Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

3. 	Combine boiling solution and bring to a boil. Punch dough down
and divide into 2 equal pieces. Form each piece into a tight, smooth
ball. Boil each loaf in the solution for 2 minutes, turning after 1
minute. Remove loaves from pot using a slotted spoon and place on a
greased baking sheet.

4. 	Brush with egg wash and cut a cross in the top. Bake for 15
minutes then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake an
additional 10 to 12 minutes until the loaves are evenly browned.
Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pretzel-bread/