Pretzel kind of breads

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Sat, 15 Jun 2013 06:45:39 -0800
v113.n024.7
This one does not taste like the all white commercial pretzels, but
the kids liked it very well.  The recipe is old from before instant
yeast and directions have been updated.

This was a favorite sandwich for picnics with the pretzel loaf sliced
horizontally into 3-4 pieces and reassembled with different sandwich
fillings between each layer.

Being associated with Alaskan Brewing and living in the town where it
is brewed, I use that beer where possible in my cooking and baking.

A good dark craft beer will add flavor to the bread so use one that
is dark and malty.  I have made it with cola beverage too.

I have used the dough for kids pretzel parties (house full of kids
all making personal pretzels with a series of baking and eating adventures).

I make my own mustards, and this is especially good with a yellow
whole seed honey mustard (made with beer of course).

* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Pretzel Shaped Sandwich Loaf

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Mary Ann Selected

   1             bottle  Alaskan Oatmeal Stout or other dark beer (12
fluid ounces)
      1/3           cup  Cornmeal
      1/4           cup  Dark Molasses
      1/4           cup  Warm Water
   2        tablespoons  Salad Oil
   1           teaspoon  Salt
   1                cup  Whole Grain Rye Meal Or Flour
   1                cup  Whole Wheat Bread Flour
   3               cups  Unbleached Flour
   1                egg  Beaten
                         Salt Cyrstals, Poppyseeds, Or
                         Sesame Seeds To Decorate The Top.

                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Heat together to boiling in a small pan, the Alaskan Stout, cornmeal,
and molasses.  Cool to lukewarm (105-110 F)

In a large bowl proof a package of yeast in 1/4 cup water (or use
instant yeast and increase the liquid by 1/4 cup).

Add the boiled mixture with the oil, salt, rye and whole wheat flours.

Mix until blended. In a mixer with a dough hook or a large food
processor, stir in 2 1/2 cups of the flour while kneading.

Continue kneading until the dough is pulling away from the side of
the bowl, adding additional flour a tablespoon at a time.

Place the dough in a oiled bowl, turning over to coat the dough and
cover while rising in a warm place until doubled in volume, 1-2 hours.

Punch down and knead if needed to release the trapped gasses.

Shaping options:

1) Shape into a single round loaf, placing on the center of a baking sheet

2)  Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a rope about
1-1/2 inches in diameter.  Shape the rope into the shape of a pretzel
on a baking sheet.

3) place into two loaf pans as sandwich loaves.  Cover the bread with
a cloth or plastic film and allow to rise until puffy, 30 minutes to an hour.

Brush the surface to beaten egg (for a glazed crust) and dust the
surface with salt crystals, sesame seeds, or poppyseeds.

Bake in a 350 F oven for 25-30 minutes.  Check with an instant read
thermometer to assure that the center is at least 195 F, and 200 F is
near perfect.