My favorite Challah

Jeff Kreitman <jeffkreitman@gmail.com>
Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:02:25 -0400
v113.n031.5
I make this every year for Rosh Hashanah - it's a winner every time
for both the Jewish and Christian members of my family!

Challah I (source: Allrecipes.com)
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/challah-i/detail.aspx

2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup honey
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tablespoon salt
8 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)

       Directions

1. In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over barely warm water. Beat in
honey, oil, 2 eggs, and salt. Add the flour one cup at a time,
beating after each addition, graduating to kneading with hands as
dough thickens. Knead until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky,
adding flour as needed. Cover with a damp clean cloth and let rise
for 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled in bulk.

2. Punch down the risen dough and turn out onto floured board. Divide
in half and knead each half for five minutes or so, adding flour as
needed to keep from getting sticky. Divide each half into thirds and
roll into long snake about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Pinch the ends
of the three snakes together firmly and braid from middle. Either
leave as braid or form into a round braided loaf by bringing ends
together, curving braid into a circle, pinch ends together. Grease
two baking trays and place finished braid or round on each. Cover
with towel and let rise about one hour.

3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

4. Beat the remaining egg and brush a generous amount over each
braid. Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.

5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 40 minutes. Bread
should have a nice hollow sound when thumped on the bottom. Cool on a
rack for at least one hour before slicing.

My notes:
1) Put the 4 T of oil into your 1/2 cup measure and then into your
work bowl.  Then if you use the same measure for the honey it won't stick.

2) If you want to add raisins soak them in warm water for 10-15
minutes first. Then drain and incorporate in step 2 just before shaping.

3) Works well in a traditional braided loaf or as a round loaf

4) I find it easier to bake first for 10-15 minutes and then apply
the egg glaze

5) Freezes well and if you happen to have leftovers it makes great french toast