Chipotle Scones

Tue, 29 Oct 2013 18:13:27 -0700
v113.n040.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                               Chipotle Scones

Recipe By     :Ginny McMeans
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Breads/Muffins/Rolls
                  Vegetables                      Vegetarian

    2               cups  all-purpose flour -- unbleached
       1/2           cup  yellow cornmeal
    1         Tablespoon  baking powder
       1/2      teaspoon  cumin
       1/4           cup  vegan butter -- cold and cut into pieces
    4             ounces  vegan cheddar cheese -- grated (I used
Daiya wedges and cut it into small pieces)
    1                     egg replacer -- mixed per the instructions
on your package
       1/4           cup  soy milk
    2        Tablespoons  chipotle in adobo sauce

Mix your one egg replacer and set aside.

Mix together flour, baking powder, cornmeal and cumin.

Add the cold butter and wedged cheese (wait until later if you are
using grated cheese) to the flour mixture.

Cut in with a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse meal or as I
call it, small crumbles.

When I am cutting the butter and cheese into the flour I always stop
when it gets closer to the end and use my fingers. I use a pinching
and rolling motion and it gets blended perfectly.

If you are using grated cheese add that now and mix together.

Mix the soy milk and prepared egg replacer together and set aside 2
Tablespoon for using later when you brush the tops of the scones before baking.

Add the liquid (except the 2 Tablespoons) to the dough mixture.

Mix until just blended.

Turn out on floured board.

Knead 4 to 6 times until it, sort of, forms a ball.

Divide in half.

Make two rounds (as seen in the photo below) about 5" to 6" in
diameter on a greased baking sheet.

Cut into 6ths but not all the way through.

Brush the tops of the scones rounds with the leftover egg
replacer/soy milk mixture.

Bake at 400F for 20 min.

IF FREEZING:

After they have cooled you may freeze them in any of the methods
shown in my article
http://veganinthefreezer.com/preparing-food-for-the-freezer/

They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning. The
microwave will also zap them in 10 to 15 seconds. For a fresh out of
the oven feel you can bake them at 350F for about 8 min

Makes 12 scones, Serving Size: 1 - 2 scones.

Source:
    "veganinthefreezer.com"
S(Internet Address):
    "http://veganinthefreezer.com/2013/04/06/chipotle-scones/";
Start to Finish Time:
    "0:40"
T(Cook Time):
    "0:20"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 203 Calories; 10g Fat (42.6%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
21mg Cholesterol; 269mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.