Multi grain sourdough bread

Michael Cameron <mncameron@att.net>
Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:03:20 -0800 (PST)
v114.n003.6
This is my go to sourdough. I do long rises in the refrigerator. I
start by taking my starter out of refrigerator and taking a quarter
to a halfcup of it and build it up over several days with equal parts
flour and water. I usually use rye and or whole wheat. When I have a
couple cups worth to spare for the new loaf I set that aside. I like
to use it within 6 hours of last feeding but no less than 3 hours.
The more it's bubbling the happier I am.

I take 1/3 cup rye, 1/2 cup whole wheat, 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten,
1/3 cup wheat germ, and approximately 1/2 cup white flour and stir it
all up with 1 teaspoon of sea salt.

I then take my minimum 2 cup of recently fed starter and mix together
adding white flour or water until it's barely able to be stirred with
a large wooden spoon. I then let it rest for anywhere from 5 to 15
minutes. I then knead for minimum of 10 minutes, adding white flour
until it feels almost dry and pulling apart.

I take this dough ball and put it in a stainless bowl at least twice
its size and cover with several layers plastic wrap with a plate on
top to hold it down. Put it in the refrigerator and forget about it
for 3 to 6 days. I like to pull it out to warm up at room temp the
night before I bake.

In the morning I punch it down, form the loaf and let is rise at room
temp or a bit higher in proofing box. I preheat oven to 450F, when it
and the oven stone are up to temp I then slash the loaf, slide it off
baking sheet on to hot stone, put a quarter cup of water in the pan
on bottom of oven and close door, and set timer for ten minutes. I
then drop temp to 425F. In ten minutes I add another quarter cup of
water to steaming pan on bottom of oven and set timer for 10 more
minutes. When second ten minutes is up I drop temp to 350F and set
timer for 15 minutes, when that time has come, I flip loaf and cook
for 20 more minutes at same 350F. So total time of 55 minutes. When
55 minutes total has passed the bread comes out to cool on rack for
minimum of 3 hours on wire rack.

This recipe rocks! It produces a very sour loaf if left if
refrigerator for several days before baking. I use either Eds Bahrain
or French starter they both are excellent.

I hope some one benefits from this, it's our house bread and gets
done about every 4 to 6 days.

cheers
michael