Re: Questions on Skillet Cornbread

David Scheidt <dscheidt@panix.com>
Tue, 7 Oct 2014 22:51:50 -0500
v114.n040.3
>From: Fred Smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
>Subject: Re: Questions on Skillet Cornbread
>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:17:45 -0400
>
>Question 3: I don't personally have any experience with corn breads
>that contain only corn. All the ones I've made use corn meal with
>some flour, either white or whole wheat. It would seem to me that
>without some sort of flour, there's be nothing to make all the bits
>of corn meal stick together. You mention "corn flour", is that what
>use US-ians would call corn meal, or is it in fact corn ground to a
>flour-like powder? Here in the US, corn meal is coarser than wheat
>flour,... you can feel the grittiness of it if you rub a little
>between your fingers.

I make all corn cornbread sometimes.  (not usually, I like the stuff
with flour better.)

My method is something like:

2 cups (550 ml) cornmeal
2 teaspoon (10 ml) baking powder
1 t (5ml) table salt, more by volume if you're using something coarse
1 T (15 ml) sugar (you can easily use honey, add it to the liquid part)
2 large eggs
2 T (30ml) liquid fat -- melted butter, oil, lard, whatever
2 cups (475 ml) milk or buttermilk, or some combination.

whisk together dry ingredients.  beat eggs in milk with the butter or oil

put in greased 8x8 pan (a 10" skillet will work) 450F for 20-25
minutes until browned, and a tester comes out clean in center.